Kay Melbye – Partner
- Assistant: Kim Hudson
Kay is qualified as a Family Law Arbitrator, Family Law Mediator and Child Interviewer who prepares Hear the Child Reports. She is a founding member of the Victoria Collaborative Law Group and Kay has additional training in these areas. She also regularly mentors young lawyers and is actively involved in the community.
Kay was born and raised in Victoria and obtained her Law Degree from the University of Victoria. She was called to the BC Bar in May 1999 and initially practised civil litigation with the law firm of Cook Roberts from 1998 through 2001. In April 2001 Kay moved from Cook Roberts to join Trudi L. Brown, Q.C. and Jane Henderson, Q.C. in their move from Horne Coupar to form the new firm of Brown Henderson on Oak Bay Avenue.
Kay prefers to resolve matters outside of court when possible, but if court is required Kay has extensive experience at all levels of BC Courts. Kay’s background in civil litigation serves her well in meeting the varied legal needs of family law clients.
- Member, International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Member and former Executive Section Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member and Past President, Victoria Bar Association
- Member, Association of Family and Conciliatory Courts
- Member, International Association of Collaborative Law Professionals
- Member, Victoria Association of Collaborative Law Professionals
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Board of Directors Treasurer, BC Hear the Child Society
- Board of Directors Secretary, Vancouver Island Children’s Health Foundation
- Former Board of Directors Chair, Bridges for Women Society
- YWCA Women of Distinction Award, 2003