Call now to get started: 250 595-2220

Family Law Associatio nmeeting

Covid-19 has caused many people to think about estate planning, and we can help you get your affairs in order.

What if something happens to you?  What do you need?  Maybe this has caused you some sleepless nights recently.

Essential Estate Planning Documents

Maybe it’s time to consider an estate plan that protects you and your family in the event of your illness, incapacity, or death.  The essential estate planning documents are a:

  • Will
  • Power of Attorney;
  • Representation Agreement; and,
  • Advanced Care Directive.

So which of these documents are needed when?

Plan for Illness

What if you are unlucky enough to be ill for a long duration and unable to get to the bank or otherwise manage your financial affairs?  This is when a power of attorney can assist you.

Plan for Incapacity

What about when you are so ill you cannot communicate what your health care wishes are to the medical staff?  Then you will want a Representative Agreement and Advanced Care Directive.

Plan for death – yes it will happen

The document that says what happens upon your death is a will.  This estate planning document says what you want to have happen with your financial responsibilities, and assets after you die.  If you have children it can also specify who the guardian for your children will be while they are under the age of 19.  And, it is very important this document is up to date in saying who your beneficiaries are if you have recently divorced or finalized your separation.

Shauna Tucker, a lawyer with over 20 years of experience, leads our estate planning team. Shauna is assisted by associate lawyers Carli Ziegler, Samantha de Wit, and Samantha Rapoport.

Brown Henderson Melbye is also pleased to offer estate litigation services, led by firm partner Kay Melbye, a litigator with over 20 years of experience.

Clients interested in our estate planning or estate litigation services can contact Patricia at 250 595-2220 ext. 217 to book an appointment with one of our qualified lawyers.