Samantha de Wit – Lawyer
- Legal Assistant: Kim Hudson
Samantha is originally from Cape Town, South Africa. She immigrated to Canada with her parents and younger brother in the early 1990s, ending up in the prairie province of Manitoba of all places.
Samantha received her LL.B. from the University of Manitoba in 2009, after which she articled with Legal Aid Manitoba in the areas of child protection, family law, mental health law and criminal law.
Following her Call to the Bar in June 2010, Samantha spent her first three years of practice at a well-respected family law boutique firm in Winnipeg, Manitoba, where she acted on a wide array of family legal files and appeared in Court on Case Conferences, Chambers Applications and Court of Queen’s Bench Trials.
In June 2013, Samantha made the move to Victoria, B.C. with her golden retriever and orange tabby cat, in order to move closer to members of her family.
Samantha began her B.C. family law practice at a large reputable downtown firm in Victoria, where she practiced for three years in their family law department before joining Brown Henderson Melbye in October 2016.
Samantha’s practice is focused solely on family law, and ranges from negotiation, mediation, and if necessary, litigation in Court, in order to resolve family disputes. As well, Samantha is a trained Collaborative Family Law lawyer with the Collaborative Family Separation Professionals Group in Victoria. More information can be found here: http://www.collaborativefamilylawgroup.com/
Samantha understands that the end of a relationship is a significant and emotional event in one’s life, in particular where parties have had children together and their financial lives have become intertwined. Samantha can assist you in figuring out the tricky path towards moving on, including resolving parenting issues, support issues and issues relating to property and debt.
Professional and Community Highlights
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia
- Non-practicing Member, Law Society of Manitoba
- Member, Canadian Bar Association (CBA) and B.C. Bar Association (CBA B.C.)
- President, Victoria Bar Association
- Member-at-Large, CBA National Family Law Section
- Co-Chair, CBA B.C. Family Law Section (Vancouver Island)
- Member-at-Large, CBA B.C. Women Lawyer’s Forum (Vancouver Island)
- Director, Family Services of Greater Victoria (FSGV)
- Volunteer Lawyer – Access Pro Bono