Congratulations to our very own, Trudi Brown!
Trudi L. Brown, Q.C., has been chosen by her peers out of all of the family lawyers in British Columbia to be the first ever recipient of the Law Society of British Columbia’s Excellence in Family Law Award.
With her 45 years of experience and her role as a leader and mentor in the family law bar in British Columbia, this is a well-deserved honour.
By way of background, Trudi Brown began practicing in the area of family law during her time with the Crown’s office starting in 1974, and later formed the firm of Brown Acheson Henderson in 1985 (which became known among legal circles as the “Broads on Broad Street”).
In addition to being a well-respected family law litigator, Trudi Brown is a trained family law mediator, arbitrator and member of the B.C. Hear the Child Society.
Some of her many accomplishments include:
- Trudi was one of the first lawyers to bring collaborative law to the practice of family law in Victoria;
- Trudi continues to participate as co-chair of the National Family Law Program;
- Trudi continues to be an editor of the British Columbia Family Law Practice, which means that she has literally written the law on family law in British Columbia;
- Trudi is a member of the International Academy of Matrimonial Lawyers
- Trudi is a member and former elected representative of the Canadian Bar Association;
- Trudi is a member, Lifetime Bencher and President (1998) of the Law Society of British Columbia; and
- Trudi is a former member of the Board of Governors at the University of Victoria (2002-2008).
Trudi Brown has also found the time to mentor and provide judicial training and supervision to countless co-op and articling students, as well as junior associates at her firm Brown Henderson Melbye. This contribution to the legal training of B.C.’s young lawyers is just one more reason that we are celebrating her accomplishments this month.
Trudi Brown’s latest achievement is set to be celebrated at the Canadian Bar Association’s Women Lawyers Forum Section Meeting on December 13, 2017 and at the Lifetime Bencher’s dinner on December 8, 2017 in Vancouver.
We at Brown Henderson Melbye are very excited to be celebrating not only this award, but her entire career in the practice of law.
More details about Trudi L. Brown’s extensive accomplishments can be find on her bio at: https://bhmlawyers.wpengine.com/team-2/trudi-l-brown-q-c-partner/
Further reports of Trudi L. Brown’s award can be found at the following places: